In our country, we are taught to respect our elders since our childhood. Any person, whose age is above 60 years and who is a permanent citizen of India is a senior citizen. Since after independence, senior citizen age in India was fixed 60. He/she can entitle and claim for the rights and independence of the senior citizens in India. These rights are one of the fundamental rights in India.
Benefits to Senior Citizen in India – Age of Senior Citizen in IRCTC, Airways, Road and Welfare
Due to high illiteracy rate of the country many people are unaware about the senior citizen age in India and their human rights. Elder literacy and alertness are the two factors that cause major infringement of these rights.
- According to 2001 census, there are more than 100 million people in India who have crossed the age of 60 and 90% among them are still working hard to make their ends meet.
- According to a survey 16% of the elders do not get proper nutrition, 34% lack health facilities and 50% elders do not get proper respect in their families.
The year 1999 was observed as International Year of Senior Citizens by United Nations General Assembly. Being persuaded with this our country launched a National Policy on Senior Citizens same year to assure their fundamental rights mentioned in Indian Constitution.
According to our constitution Right to Equality is guaranteed as a fundamental right. ‘The state shall, within the limits of its economic capacity and development, make effective provision for securing the right to public assistance in old age’. The minister of Social Justice and Empowerment ensures this support to senior citizens.
Benefits to Senior Citizens in Different Sectors: The Constitution of India entitles senior citizens with a number of benefits. The list goes on.
Senior Citizen age in Indian Railways
- IRCTC provides senior citizens with concession in all mail and express trains including Shatabadi and Rajdhani express. IRCTC senior citizen age is 58 years for women and 60 years for men.
- There are separate counters for senior citizens.
- Wheel chairs for senior citizens are all available on all junctions.
- Special ramps are made to move wheel chairs easily.
Senior Citizen benefits in Indian Airways
- Most of the Airline companies wave off 50% charges for senior citizens age more than 63 years. This waver is subjected to certain conditions.
Welfare Schemes by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
- Under a valuable scheme of the ministry, 90% financial assistance is provided to the NGO’s which establish and maintain Old Age Homes, Day Care Centers and Mobile Medicare units. These facilities provide non-institutional services for senior citizens.
- If any NGO constructs an Old Age Home on the recommendation of State Government or UT Administration, it is provided with one time construction grant.
Senior Citizen age in Indian Finance
- Senior citizens are provided with a rebate in Income Tax upto an income of 3 lakh, if they age between 60 to 80 years. After the age of 80 years, the income limit increases upto 5 lakh.
- Senior Citizens are provided with a higher saving rate of 9%, if they deposit their money with Post Office.
Senior Citizen age in Indian Road Transportation
- First two seats of the roadways buses are reserved for senior citizens.
- Some State Transports give concessions in fare as well.
So, These are the some of the points and benefits given to senior citizens of india by government of india. if you have any question or query, please ask us on the below comment box.