Our society is based upon the institution of marriage. Earlier, In Hindu society marriages are strictly performed within the castes or Jaatis. According to Indian traditions, marriages outside the cast are not acceptable and are opposed to any extent. Honor Killing is such a common thing in India. But the same religion come up with change in social rituals by stopping Sati pratha and child marriages. To stop more damage and to create social harmony, government of india is come up with Dr. Ambedkar scheme for social integration through inter-caste marriages.
Benefits of Dr. Ambedkar Scheme for Social Integration through Inter-Caste Marriages
Government of India took various steps to abolish this caste system but it did not bring any major change. This cast-prejudice is related to untouchability, fraternity and inequality in the society. Inter-caste marriage is one of a significant step to abolish this Jati (caste) system.
Scheme: The scheme was introduced to give a moral and financial scheme to the people who have taken the bold step of inter-caste marriage by breaking the social norms. This scheme is not a supplement to some unemployment or poverty alleviation scheme. It just helps the newly-wed couple to settle in their initial level of life.
Eligibility criteria to get benefit in Dr. Ambedkar Scheme for Social Integration through Inter-Caste Marriages
One should fulfill all these conditions to avail the benefits of this scheme.
- The inter-caste marriage, according to this scheme is that in which one of the spouse belongs to Non-Scheduled Class and other to the Scheduled Caste.
- The married should be valid under the Hindu marriage Act, 1955. They need to submit an affidavit of their being legally married.
- One has to submit the affidavit within one year of marriage to avail the benefits.
- This scheme is valid for first marriage only, no incentive will be granted for second or subsequent marriages.
- The total annual income of the married couple should be less than 5 Lacs per annum.
Incentives in Dr. Ambedkar Scheme for Social Integration
The following incentives are related to this scheme
- The legally inter-caste married couples will receive a total incentive 0f 2.5 lakhs. 50% of the amount will be paid in the first year of marriage and rest 50% will be paid after the completion of 5 years of marriage. The couple will receive amount in the form of DD in their joint name. The couple ought to have a joint account to avail this amount.
- 500 couples per year will be provided this benefit. The target for each state is fixed according to SC population of the area, based upon 2011 census.
- For the year 2014-14 and 2014-15 i.e. two years, the scheme was implemented as a pilot project. In the year 2014-2015 few recommendations of Scheme of Social Justice & Empowerment, already under implementation and Umbrella Scheme for Development of Scheduled Castes, are need to be looked after.
- The couple will be handed overran amount of 25000/- by District Authorities for organizing a befitting programme.
Other Features Of Dr. Ambedkar Scheme for Social Integration
These are some points which should be considered before applying for the scheme.
- The Scheme is known as “Dr. Ambedkar Scheme for Social Integration through Inter-Caste marriages”.
- The incentive of the couple will be sanctioned in the discretion of Minister of Social Justice & Empowerment of Dr. Ambedkar Foundation.
- The couple providing any fabricated information will be punishable as per the law in force.
These are the important points of the Dr. Ambedkar Scheme for Social Integration for inter caste marriage. For more updates on latest schemes and news on indian government, keep visiting us.